The Radio Art Residency is an international fellowship programme for artistic practice on the radio. The residency is a joint project by the Goethe-Institut and Experimental Radio at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar in cooperation with the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar, Deutschlandfunk Kultur, Thuringia’s Landesmedienanstalt, EIGENHEIM Weimar/Berlin and ACC Galerie Weimar.
The programme offers a three-month residency twice a year in Weimar for artists from non-German speaking countries.
The aim of the fellowship is to promote independent and open-ended artistic work and to support the realisation of new artworks. The programme encourages artists from various disciplines to deal with the narrative, technical and artistic potentials of the radio medium, and specifically promotes exploration of radio as an instrument of communication and possibly even the questioning of what can be constituted as language by the radio. From the use of the radio as an exhibition space for artworks to real-time medium, the residency offers a wide range of creative options for artistic practice.
During their three-month stay, fellows are invited to explore the boundaries of sound and radio art and to transcend them in interdisciplinary constellations, to be inspired by intercultural dialogue with artists, scholars and students at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and the University of Music Franz Liszt as well as by the culture and classics city of Weimar. In addition, they have the opportunity to have a closer look at and to network with contemporary art in Germany and in particular international sound and radio art.
The fellowship is curatorially supervised and technically supported by Experimental Radio at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
The programme is for artists working in the field of acoustic and time-based arts (radio, performance and sound artists). Applications are open to artists from non-German speaking countries without residence in Germany.Although experience in radio production is not necessarily required, an interest in engaging with the medium and using the radio for your own work is expected.
The first Radio Art Residency Weimar will take place from 1 April to 30 June 2021.
BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAMME
- Financing of arrival and departure expenses
- Provision of accommodation in Weimar for 3 months
- A monthly fellowship of 2,300 euros (includes material and production costs as well as costs for local transport and travelling)
- A broadcast in the Klangkunst programme of Deutschlandfunk Kultur
- Curatorial supervision and technical support by Experimental Radio at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. Provision of airtime by bauhaus.fm (Radio Lotte)
- Work and present for a month in the exhibition space of the EIGENHEIM Weimar
- A workshop with students from Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- An artist talk at ACC Galerie Weimar
- An artist talk as part of the radio talks series of Experimental Radio and concerts in the Studio for Electro-Acoustic Music (SeaM)
- Networking with relevant artists and institutions via the network of Experimental Radio and the Goethe-Institut
- If possible, a German language course at a Goethe-Institut in the country of residence
Applications must be in English and contain the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae with full contact details, educational background and an overview of your artistic career to date (residencies, other fellowships), 2 pages maximum.
- Letter of motivation: Please describe your motivation for participating in the residency programme in a maximum of 2 pages. Please also describe the project you would like to work on during your stay and describe your approach to the medium.
- Portfolio: Please send us a brief portfolio that provides insights into your previous artistic work.
Please submit your application as a single PDF document. Audio files may be sent via email or uploaded to relevant digital platforms.
Please send your application by 31 January 2021, 11:59 pm CET to:
[email protected] Subject: Radio Art Residency