- Marketing & Advertising
- Non-profit Organization Management
Ashoka was founded in 1980 by Bill Drayton and in over 38 years, Ashoka has pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship by building the largest network of systems-change social entrepreneurs worldwide with more than 3600 Ashoka Fellows working in 93 countries, putting their innovative ideas into practice to create positive change at a large scale. These leading social entrepreneurs create new, pattern-changing ideas to solve seemingly intractable challenges and act as key role models and recruiters for changemakers. They point us to the next frontiers of change in society and inspire the ideas that shape Ashoka’s strategies. Ashoka is driving a new vision for the citizen sector— one based on individual innovators who inspire and lead everyone to be a ‘changemaker’ at some level. Ashoka’s core work is identifying and investing in leading social entrepreneurs with new ideas for social change as well as providing them with access to a global network of social entrepreneurs thereby creating an ever-increasing synergy for local action and global change.
Ashoka serves as a platform for collaboration and exchange, while also designing new ways for the citizen sector to become more productive, entrepreneurial, and globally integrated. For more than 30 years, Ashoka Africa has been fostering Africa’s largest network of system-change social entrepreneurs. Ashoka Nigeria is part of the Ashoka Africa Hub and was launched in 1990. Our first and longest running program in Anglophone West Africa to date includes over 110 systems-changing social entrepreneurs, whom we call Ashoka Fellows. The regional office based in Lagos covers Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Ghana. Our goal is to stimulate and support the most innovative entrepreneurial solutions to the social and environmental challenges we face today. And to foster “Everyone A Changemaker” societies along with other key stakeholders across sectors. This means equipping more people, including young people, with the skillset and a connection to the purpose so that they can contribute ideas and effectively solve problems in their worlds – be it in their family, community, city, workplace, field, industry, country, or beyond. We provide connections to a global network and a platform for people dedicated to changing the world. Ashoka is also ideally positioned to identify patterns in social innovation, convene key decision-makers from the social entrepreneurship, corporate, public and investment sectors to facilitate the emergence of collaborative models that can address the most critical societal challenges at large scale.
While the Ashoka network includes social entrepreneurs working on any critical societal issue – from education, human rights, civic participation, economic development to nutrition and healthcare among others – we are eager to spot and supply solutions that are particularly relevant in the current regional context such as social cohesion, addressing economic inequalities, quality education for all and climate resilience amongst others.
For more information, please visit https://www.ashoka.org/en-ng/country/nigeria
The Ashoka Anglophone West Africa office is looking for a motivated volunteer that will support staff tasks related to social innovation ecosystem research, storytelling and amplification of changemaker stories. Volunteer will collaborate with us and provide support on projects that include:
- Social innovation ecosystem mapping: Help us follow up on leads, map clusters of social innovation, identify prospective nominators and candidates, and prepare research briefs and reports.
- Storytelling: Support storytelling projects about the world’s changemakers. Skillsets needed include writing and storytelling.
- Media Ecosystem: Map ecosystem of media partners, and awards/funding in storytelling.
- Candidate Panels and Preparation Assistance: Ashoka searches the world for leading social entrepreneurs through an intensive, human-centred process, selecting them into our global, trust-based fellowship of peers. Panel is a step in the candidate process that allows us and leading social entrepreneurs to interview and assess the innovation and potential impact of the Fellowship Candidate.
- Performing other duties as requested by the Venture team.
Estimated hours required per week: 10 hours a week
The estimated duration of the project is: 3-6 months
This position is Virtual
Desired Skills And Experience
Ashoka team members are entrepreneurial individuals who are willing and able to work in a number of different capacities. Therefore, volunteer should have:
- Self-motivation and a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Desire to cause systemic change and gain experience in the social entrepreneurship sector.
- An investigative nature: Someone who loves to get to the bottom of a story.
- Strong Research and Analysis skills.
- Previous experience in professional writing and administrative skills are desired.
- Ability to work independently and in a creative, collaborative team environment.
- Teamwork & Communication skills: In the era of COVID-19, this will be a remote volunteering opportunity.
- The candidate must be excited to explore new and unique ways to work with, learn from & have fun with their team.
- Proficiency in English and exceptional communication skills (written and spoken)