The Acumen Fellowship is an intensive leadership development program for individuals who are building the solutions to tackle the toughest problems of our time.
The Acumen West Africa Fellows Program brings together exceptional leaders from across West Africa (Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and The Gambia) who are daring to embrace the difficultjourney of social change. Over the course ofthe year,the Fellows will come together to learn with–and from–each other. As a deeply bonded cohort,they will engage with a curriculum thatis based on practical skills and character, geared towards action and
grounded in the value of moral leadership. After they finish the first year ofthe Fellowship,the Fellows join our global community of more than 800 Fellows.
What makes a fellow?
Our fellows are extraordinary leaders who dare to embrace the difficult journey of social change. Here’s what we want from you—and what you can expect from your cohort.
- Entrepreneurs: Leaders of both for-profit and nonprofit organizations providing critical goods or services to the underserved.
- Intrapreneurs: Leaders who are bringing to life new initiatives or approaches within the organization. The focus is on designing, testing, incubating and implementing ideas that enable the organization to pursue its purpose.
- Organizational Builders: Leaders who play an integral role in building the organization. The focus is on building the internal blocks, systems & processes that enable the organization to pursue its purpose.
In the Fellowship Program You Will:
- Learn to catalyse and embrace the gradual and meaningful process of creating change at the personal, organisational, and societal levels
- Cultivate the ability to lead effectively when opposing but interdependent values are in tension
- Understand how to lead diverse stakeholders through recurring and complex challenges
- Develop the capacity to tell meaningful stories that speak across lines of difference and move others to action
- Examine your identities, values, and choices that have shaped your journey till now and cultivate a deeper understanding of yourself and your work in a broader context
- Explore the meaning of a just society and the moral and historical foundation of social change through text-based dialogue
- Navigate systemic problems and design more effective interventions using moral imagination
- Question your assumptions and beliefs about leading effective change
- Be supported and accompanied by a cohort of like-minded peers persevering in the process of driving social change
Our curriculum draws on powerful leadership frameworks, tools, and approaches, including Adaptive Leadership, Authentic Voice, Good Society Readings, Immunity to Change, and Polarities Management.
How to Apply
Our application process consists of these four steps.
- 1Step 1: Apply online — Applications open 9 June and close 20 July
- 2Step 2: Receive your online assignments in August
- 3Step 3: Attend the Selection Conference in November
- 4Step 4: Our Fellows are selected early December