The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program provides scholarships to academically talented young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at the University of Cape Town (UCT).
Students enrolled on the programme receive support and developmental opportunities including mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support, career development and entrepreneurship training. They are expected to engage in community upliftment projects and get involved in all that UCT has to offer.
UCT opens its annual call for applications to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program between July and September. Apply for your place from July each year.
Visit the links below to learn more about the undergraduate and graduate application procedures.
Note that application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is not the same as an academic application for UCT. Prospective scholars are advised to submit an academic application to UCT first, and then apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity
- Applicants must meet the set academic criteria
Value of Scholarship:
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Meals through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
Students enrolled on the Program will receive mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.