SASSA Disability Grants are available for eligible individuals who have a disability and are unable to work, or if you’re temporarily unable to work for longer than 6 months due to a physical or mental disability.
The SASSA disability grant can be paid as a lump sum or monthly installments.
Types of Sassa Disability Grants;
There are two types of Sassa disability grants, they are;
- A temporary disability grant
This grant is for people with a permanent disability whose disability will last for a continuous period of not less than 6 months and not more than 12 months.
- A permanent disability grant
This is for someone who’ll be disabled for more than 12 months, but that doesn’t mean you’ll get the grant for life. It simply means that it will continue for longer than 12 months.
Who qualifies for the Sassa disability grant
In order to qualify for a SASSA Disability Grant, the applicant should/must;
- Be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee.
- Be resident in South Africa.
- Be 18 to 59 years of age.
- Submit a medical / assessment report confirming permanent, severe disability.
- Provide a medical assessment that is not older than 3 months at date of application.
- Meet the requirements of the means test (including spouse).
- Not be maintained or cared for in a State Institution.
- Not be in receipt of another social grant in respect of him or herself.