Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships 2023 in Canada ($60,000 per scholar)
Application Deadline: December 2, 2022
Canada in the World will be the theme of our 2023-2026 Scientific Cycle.
This theme will help to contextualize the leadership training provided to the Scholars class of 2023.
To be eligible for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have been accepted into or be in year one or two of a full-time doctoral program, and you must plan to complete your studies in 2026 or later.
- Your subject of study is broadly related to the humanities or human sciences and has direct relevance to Canada’s future; (please refer to the FAQ for more details and read up on past scholarship recipients).
- Your dissertation must address at least one of the Foundation’s four themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, and People and their Natural Environment.
- Be a Canadian citizen enrolled in a PhD program at a Canadian or foreign university, or be a non-Canadian (permanent resident of Canada or foreign national) enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholars receive:
- Membership in a thriving community of Scholars, Mentors, and Fellows who are all leaders in their respective subjects and areas.
- Our Mentors and Fellows provide leadership training, as well as unique experiential learning experiences that deepen and supplement their academic experience.
- Possibilities to improve skill in Canada’s official languages (French and English) as well as Indigenous languages.
- Membership in the Foundation’s alumni network for life.
- Up to $40,000 per year for three years to cover tuition and modest living expenses so that they can concentrate on their PhD studies and the Foundation’s leadership program.
- Up to $20,000 per year for three years for language instruction (see below), travel and lodging for the Foundation’s leadership program, and doctoral research, networking, and travel.
How to apply
Candidates who are interested in a three-year leadership program and meet the eligibility requirements can apply directly to the Foundation via the application portal.
Universities play a significant role in encouraging candidates to apply, proposing candidates (academic references), and then validating their students’ status and other facts.
All applications are reviewed by the Foundation.
Candidates who have been shortlisted are invited to group interviews.
Finalists are interviewed by the Application and Nomination Review Committee (ANRC), which makes recommendations to the Board of Directors for ultimate approval.
December 2, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. EST
Deadline to apply directly to the Foundation.
February 6, 2023
Invitation to semi-finalists for Round One group interviews.
February 20 to 23, 2023
Round One: Virtual group interviews and information sessions with semi-finalists .
March 10, 2023
Invitation to finalists for Round Two individual interviews.
March 28 to 30, 2023
Round Two: Final interviews with members of the Application and Nomination Review Committee .
End of May 2023
Official announcement of 2023 Scholars .
For Further Information: