The Child Support Grant is a grant distributed by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) which is given to the primary parents or guardian of a child who lives in South Africa. In this article, you’ll know everything about the Sassa Child Support Grant.

Children under 18years are qualified to receive the Child Support Grant distributed by Sassa, which is a social grant aimed at lower-income households to assist parents with the costs of the basic needs of their child.

So, then who qualifies to apply for a Child Support grant?

You can apply for the grant if you are the primary caregiver of a child (a parent, grandparent or anyone who’s mainly responsible to look after the child). 

You need to meet the following criteria to qualify:

  • Be a South African citizen or have permanent residency.
  • Not earn more than R48 000 a year (R4 000 a month) if you’re single. If you’re married, your combined income shouldn’t be above R96 000 a year (R8 000 a month). 

If you are not the child’s parent, you must prove that you are the child’s primary caregiver. An affidavit from a police officer or birth parent, a report from a social worker, or a letter from your child’s school principal can be used as evidence.

READ ALSO: Sassa SRD Grant EFT Payment Options You Should Know

In order for the child to qualify, they must: 

  • be under 18 years old,
  • not be in the care of a state institution,
  • live with the primary caregiver, who isn’t paid to look after the child.

Both the primary caregiver and the child must reside in South Africa to be eligible for child support. No more than six of her non-adoptive or non-biological children may receive grants.

Also, you cannot receive a scholarship if someone else has already received a scholarship for their child.

SASSA also conducts a means test to determine if an applicant’s income is below certain levels to qualify for grants.

How To play

You can apply for child support by going to your local SASSA office and filling out an application in front of a SASSA officer.

The application is free, and a receipt will be issued once the procedure is completed. This receipt should be kept as proof of your claim.

Documents that you need to take along with you include: 

  • Your South African identity document (ID), which must be bar-coded,
  • The child’s birth certificate, which must have an ID number, 
  • Your salary slip, bank statements for 3 months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income,
  • If you’re unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) card – “blue book” – or a discharge certificate from your previous employer,
  • If you’re not the child’s parent or guardian, a written note of permission from the parent or guardian that you should take care of the child,
  • If you’re not the child’s parent or guardian, information about how you’ve tried to get the parents to pay maintenance,
  • Information that shows that you’re the child’s primary caregiver.

Once the scholarship is approved, you will be paid R440 per month per child. When you complete your application, you will be required to specify how the grant will be paid. Scholarship payments can be paid in cash on specific days of the month or received electronically to your bank account.

READ ALSO: How Do I Change My SASSA SRD R350 Banking Details?

You can change your payment method at any time by filling out the form, but the change will not take effect for him until one month later.

If your grant application is denied, you can appeal the decision. If SASSA then decides to approve the application, he will be paid within three months of the application being approved.

In this case, the amount that you receive will be backdated to the day you applied for the grant. 

You will no longer receive payments if: 

  • The child dies,
  • The end of the month in which the child turns 18,
  • If the caregiver doesn’t claim for 3 consecutive months.
  • If the child is absent from the country, or
  • The child is admitted to a state institution.

SASSA will periodically review your grant to confirm this. You must inform SASSA of any changes in your or your child’s circumstances.

If you need more clarity on the grant then you can contact the SASSA toll-free number: 0800 60 10 11, or Email: for more details. You can also follow them on social media for any other communications. 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *