Deadline: November 30, 2022
Hispanic Federation (HF) Spring 2023 Federal Policy Internship in Washington D.C.
Hispanic Federation (HF) is seeking two interns who will be based in the Washington DC office, to support the federal policy team and learn more about the role of federal advocacy, policy, and politics. This internship is ideal for someone with excellent writing, research, and organizational skills, and a strong interest in policy and politics at the federal level. The federal policy interns will provide direct administrative support to the Vice President of Federal Policy and the Public Policy Manager. HF federal policy interns will gain substantial exposure to HF priority policy issues and experience in legislative tracking, analysis, advocacy strategies, and politics.
- Track policy issues, advocacy, and lobbying activity
- Maintain various Hispanic Federation databases and websites, ensuring all data and information collected is accurate and up to date
- Support the DC office with various administrative tasks and assignments including aiding with advocacy events and meetings
- Attend coalition meetings, calls, and events on behalf of Hispanic Federation
- Conduct research on federal policy proposals and legislation; synthesize into accessible information for fact sheets, internal policy briefings, social media, etc.
- May draft, edit, and review sections of reports, congressional letters, and other written materials produced by the Vice President of Federal Policy and the Public Policy Manager
Rising junior or senior undergraduate student enrolled in political science, international relations,
environmental sciences, sociology, or related field, with:
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent research, writing, and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
• Strong interest in federal policy issues affecting Latino communities
• Ability to analyze, research, and synthesize policy
• Ability and eagerness to quickly get up to speed on policy-related issues
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google platforms
• Professional demeanor
• Ability to work independently and with a team
• Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
• Fluency in Spanish, including the ability to read, speak, and write is a plus
• Experience in social media platforms or using social media for advocacy is also a plus
• Strong commitment to the mission of the Hispanic Federation is required
• All HF interns must be able to provide proof of vaccination for COVID-19.
This is an 18-week internship, beginning the week of January 9, 2023, and ending the week of May 12, 2023. This is a hybrid position and will require weekly onsite presence. Candidates must be available to work 18 weeks, for a minimum of 25 hours a week, but no more than 30 hours per week, and able to work onsite in HF’s DC office a maximum of two days per week.
Interns are paid $16.10 per hour and serve as part-time, temporary employees. Temporary employees are not eligible for benefits.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
HF will adhere to all local, state, and federal vaccine requirements. HF requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable accommodations based on a qualifying disability, medical necessity, or religious belief in accordance with applicable law will be considered. Requests for accommodation should be submitted to Human Resources at [email protected].
How to Apply – Hispanic Federation (HF) Spring 2023 Federal Policy Internship Washington D.C.
All applicants must submit the following:
• A cover letter including all the following:
= interest in the specific position,
= grade level at the time of internship,
▪ first and last day/date available to work
▪ maximum number of hours per week available to work
▪ days of the week available to work
▪ confirmation of the ability to work remotely and in person in downtown Washington, D.C.
▪ ability to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination
• A current resume
• A writing sample (between 2–5-pages), on a related policy area, if possible.
Applications will only be considered for candidates who can work the full 18 weeks and the minimum number of hours per week. Applications should be submitted via Handshake or email to:
The deadline to apply is November 30, 2022. Late or incomplete applications or cover letters will not be
accepted. No telephone calls, only candidates for interviews wi6ll be contacted.