SASSA grants are social grants administered by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA). In fact, there are various SASSA grants awarded by the South African government. Additionally, South Africans may apply for emergency social assistance for temporary assistance. Here is how to apply for a Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant application offline by going to the nearest SASSA office.

The main highlight of this guide is how to make a Social Relief of Distress (SRD) application.

  • Older person’s grant (old-age pension),
  • Child support grant,
  • Care dependency grant,
  • Grant in aid (if you live on a social grant but need someone to take care of you),
  • War veteran’s grant,
  • Foster child grant, and
  • Disability grant.

The Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant amount is R350 per month. Applicants can receive it from the month in which they applied. The good news is you don’t have to give your money back.

Who is eligible for the grant? To apply for financial assistance, applicants must be:

  • South African Citizens, Permanent Residents, or Refugees registered with Home Affairs;
  • Resident within the borders of the Republic of South Africa;
  • Not resident in a government-funded or subsidized institution;
  • Above the age of 18;
  • Unemployed; and
  • Not receiving any income, social grant, an unemployment insurance benefit, stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme, and any other government COVID-19 response support.

How To Apply For Sassa SRD Grant Application Offline

Here is how to apply for an SRD grant application offline by going the nearest SASSA office.

  • Apply for social relief of distress at your nearest South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office.
  • Submit your application with your 13-digit bar-coded identity document and your children’s birth certificates.
  • If you do not have an identity document and birth certificate, an affidavit from your local police station, chief, councilor, or religious leader may be enough proof.
  • Show proof that you: a) have applied for a grant; b) have had an emergency (e.g. provide a police report that your house burnt down); c) have tried to get maintenance; d) have no other support; e) are married, divorced, or single; f) have no income; g) have a short-term medical disability


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *