The Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) provides short-term relief to workers when they lose their jobs or are unable to work due to maternity leave, adoption leave, or illness. It also provides relief to surviving dependents of deceased contributors. uFiling is a secure online system presented to employers for registration, declaration, and payment of UIF contributions. Employees can also use the system to claim benefits such as unemployment, maternity, and sickness.
How You Can Apply For UIF Online
To activate your Employee account you need to have the following documents and information available:
- A valid South African ID with 13 Digit South African ID number
- Your e-mail address where all correspondence will be emailed
- Cell phone number
- As an online registered Employee, you will be able to securely submit your Application for Benefits (for
Unemployment, Reduced Time Benefits, Maternity, Illness, and Adoption), to submit Continuation of Benefits and Notice of Appeal.
How to claim UIF online
- Login to your uFiling account and click on “Benefit Application and Payments” on the left side of the page. Next, click on “Apply for Benefits.”
- Choose the type of benefit you wish to apply for and click “Apply” on bottom right.
- Tick the check box to accept the terms and conditions, and then click “Next.”
- Verify your bank details and click “Next.”
- In case the details are incorrect, click “Banking Details Incorrect?” You would need to download the U12.8 form from the Department of Labour website
- You must fill one section of the form while your bank must fill the second section. Email the filled form to VOsupport@labour.gov.za.
- Confirm your personal details such as addresses and click “Next.”
- Complete your occupation and qualifications details and click “Next.”
- Update your work seeker information and click “Submit.” You will receive a confirmation message if your application is successfully submitted to UIF.
- You can check your UIF Status Online
Call Centre Operational Hours
07:30 – 16:00
Weekdays (Monday – Friday)
Call: 0800 030 007
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON UIF, VISIT https://ufiling.labour.gov.za/